Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I'd like a shot of creativity please!



I've been in a creative funk for quite some time now. 

As some of you may know, I used to go to The Art Institute for Fashion Design. I quit about almost 4 years ago when I only had like 8 classes left to graduate. I totally flushed thousands of dollars down the drain... I know. But to be completely honest, I don't regret it at all. 

NO RAGRETS

haha. Seriously though, I just really didn't have the drive anymore. I found myself skipping class often, and doing the bare minimum to get by in school and then I just knew that it wasn't for me. Now don't get me wrong, I still absolutely love fashion and I love designing, but not as a career. 

Since then, I haven't been drawing or painting as often as I like... I even feel like I need to re-learn everything since I feel like I've lost my creativity. I do crafts here and there, but it's nothing like it was before. I've basically just been making excuses.

Every so often my husband and I have moments of reflection together, when I'm feeling overwhelmed about silly things, and stuff like that. The other day I was telling him that sometimes I just feel like I have so many things on my mind, but none at the same time. I have so many ideas, but none at the same time. Does that make sense? When I lay down my mind is running at a mile a minute and I can't focus on one things. When I start a project I think of something new and don't finish what I was working on prior. I am very scatterbrained and it can definitely get exhausting sometimes. 

My husband completely understood (he's amazing and he makes sure I find my head lol). He suggested that I "un-plug" from time to time since I'm always on my phone checking something. I instantly agreed. 

FaceBook, Instagram, Blogs, Pinterest, etc; have most of us consumed. I find myself comparing myself to others because of social media... 

"COMPARISON IS THE THIEF OF JOY".

 I look on Pinterest and see all these ideas and get overwhelmed. I look on FaceBook, Follow all these bloggers on Instagram and ask myself why am I not successful like them, why don't I have clear, cute pictures. I mean I can go on and on. 

I am my own worse critic. I am my own roadblock. No one is stopping me from being successful but myself. 

J (my husband) helped me realize that I need to get inspiration the old school way. Get my creative juices flowing by breaking out some magazines and creating inspiration boards, read some books... Real books, not E-Books (not knockin' e-books in any way, but I can concentrate more with a book in my hands). Have a small notepad to sketch in, that type of stuff... Just really gather inspiration from things outside of a screen.

Lately I've been getting back into my groove and have some ideas up my sleeve, slowly getting out of my funk. I'm going to stop using the excuse of not having my own creative space  as the reason I'm not doing anything and just stop making excuses period. lol. 

How do you get your creative juices flowing? I'd love to know!

Xoxo.





*image found here

No comments:

Post a Comment